Friday, October 31, 2014

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak


It's only rare that a book leaves such a profound impact on you. I think this will be one of my favorite books of all times. It is heart wrenching, beautifully written and at the same time gives a warm fuzzy feeling of goodness of having met good people in your life. If a book could be endearing this would be it.

And the truth be told, there is absolutely nothing I want to critique about in the book. The character building as well as the whole set up has been done justice to, neither come at the cost of the other.

So the story is set in Germany predictably during Hitler's dictatorship and is about this girl who has been adopted by another family and how with the help of her adopted father who she hero worships and adores learns to read and eventually becomes the book thief, as she finds herself mesmerised by the world of words. And the story is definitely not as light hearted as this, for one it is narrated by Death.


What makes you love the book so much, is the warmth of of close human relationships, of how they go out of their way to do something for you, for humanity. I know I cried copious amounts at the end of the book, last time I did that was only in my 6th or 7th standard when I had finished reading Anne and the Green Gables. When people say Fault in your Stars is a tear jerker, wait till you read the Book Thief. All in all a 5 out of 5 stars from me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment