Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn


I noticed this book at an oxford book store when out with a couple of friends of mine and what caught my eye was the "Thriller of the Year" by the Observer accolade for it. I was not even aware there was a movie being made of it staring Ben Affleck. On a whim I asked Him to buy it for me, but it he did. :)

So just after Norwegian wood I picked this one since I wanted this reading marathon thing going. And I was pleasantly surprised by how gripping it was. The story is divided into 3 parts, with the first starting out with the disappearance of Nick Dunne's wife Amy Dunne (Elliot) who was once famous for her Amazing Amy books. The story is narrated in turns by Nick and Amy in first person. The first half is the build up of the state of affairs of their married life and what has led to its near about break down and to of course Amy's disappearance. Like any murder/disappearance stories of wives, the prime suspect is the husband and pointing fingers at Nick are also the evidences that the police lands up on. Except that all is not what it appears to be. By the end of first half you do smell fish and the whole brilliance of the plot line unfolds in the second. I don't want to give any spoilers and therefore I am just alluding to what the story might be.

This book is gripping and absolutely unputdownable. I actually read through about 250 pages in one go in trying to know what happens next. JK Rowling's Cuckoo's Calling just pales in front of this. I highly recommend this book, if you are stuck in a log jam of not being able to pick up reading. This will definitely make you want to read more and more.

My only complaint from the book is the ending. I would have wanted a better end to it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment