Friday, May 25, 2012

Godfather 1



First up I admit I am a Hollywood movie ignorant, I haven't seen most of the top 100 movies to be watched and other such lists and more importantly I forget story lines very easily. Therefore, this attempt to review movies and books, more as a way of remembering plots and protagonists and of throwing in my bit of info in conversations or atleast to save myself the disgrace and avoiding meeting people's eye when they gap at me.

Frankly I don't even need to review this movie, for most of us have seen and read it all. But for the 1% of the population that hasn't watched it, I vouch for this movie hands down. It's a wonderfully made movie, a really come of age movie in those times (1972, Can you believe it?). Absolutely staggeringly sound acting on part of all the characters and boy oh boy am I in love with Al Pacino, the way he transforms from somebody who did not want to have anything to do with his family business and later becomes the evil Don, under his Dad's aegis. And Marlon Brando, he has just the right amount of reticence, control and the rationality that was asked of the character. I love this movie, and someday I hope to pick the book up too.

Next watch Godfather 2. Three hours and some 15 mins and you are completely hooked to the movie, crisp editing and wonderful cinematography. I realise I am not so much of a faint heart after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment